Shower Door Glass Thickness | A Shopper’s Guide
If you are upgrading your bathroom shower doors, you should determine the glass thickness that is most appropriate for your design. It is best to consult with a glass professional, as choosing doors that are too heavy for your walls could lead to disaster.
At Glass Doctor®, we specialize in measuring the thickness of your shower doors. Call us today at (855) 603-1919.
Thickness Options for Glass Shower Enclosures
One challenge for glass manufacturers is to create shower doors that are thick enough to maintain their structural integrity, yet light enough to be mounted on the wall and maneuvered by users. There are typically two thickness options for frameless shower door glass: 3/8″ and 1/2″.
- 3/8″ glass is the minimum thickness that will provide the necessary stability and soundness of the glass door. This is a popular choice because it is less expensive than thicker glass.
- 1/2″ glass looks and feels more substantial than 3/8″ glass. If you choose 1/2″ glass shower doors, you may pay more for the additional structural soundness and opulent feel.
Framed shower door glass also comes in two common thickness levels: 3/16” or 1/4”. The determining factors in choosing framed glass shower doors are cost and your personal preference.
It is best to consult with a glass professional to help you determine how much weight the surrounding walls can bear before you decide on a shower door thickness. Since thicker glass doors are heavier, mounting them on a weaker wall could cause serious damage, costing you money and remodeling delays.
Custom Shower Door Solutions From Glass Doctor
Because shower walls are all unique, it is best to have a glass specialist come to your home and take precise measurements. The shower design experts at Glass Doctor will ensure that your glass shower doors are cut to the exact right thickness. We offer free, in-home consultations, during which one of our glass experts will:
- Assess the weight-bearing ability of your shower walls, which will affect the thickness of frameless glass doors available to you
- Consider the height of glass doors that will allow adequate shower ventilation
- Explain why shower door glass should be tempered, making it up to four times stronger than regular glass
- Check for availability of light in the shower enclosure, which may affect your choice of texture. Thinner glass cannot tolerate as many types of etching as thicker glass doors.
Call Glass Doctor Today
Explore our custom style tips for bathroom renovations. Find ideas about the shower door glass thickness and design that are perfect for your remodeling project. Call Glass Doctor today at (855) 603-1919 to find a location near you.
Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-is-tempered-glass-mad/